Have you been pondering the idea of creating a website for your business yourself? As a fellow DIY enthusiast, I totally get the appeal. In fact, I created my very first website over two decades ago, when I was just 12 years old! As you can imagine, it wasn’t a masterpiece, but I loved the experience anyway and was totally proud of myself. That’s how I got hooked on web design!
But let me be real with you… Even with help, launching a website can be quite a challenge.
That being said, if you’re someone who likes to dabble in new things and test your skills, I’ve got some good news for you. Thanks to the incredible tools available these days, creating a website that looks great is easier than ever before. The internet is full of free tutorials on how to build a website for your business, so with enough determination and having all the information at your fingertips, it’s mostly a matter of time and patience. Plus, you don’t always need to be a programming wizard to make changes to your site.
Of course, there are some downsides to creating your own website. Not everyone is cut out for the job, and it can be a lot to handle. So, how do you know if it’s the right move for you?
Should you do it yourself or hire a web designer?
DIY Your Business Website: Yay or Nay?
Designing your own website is for you if…
- You’re just starting your business. Creating a simple and stylish DIY website can be a great way to test your business ideas without spending a lot of money, especially if you’re still experimenting to see if your business is viable.
- You don’t have a budget. For an entrepreneur who isn’t making money yet, it may be a considerable upfront expense. Setting it up yourself won’t be completely free, but you can reduce the cost to a minimum by doing it yourself.
- You don’t need any advanced functionalities or unique aesthetics. Setting up a basic website with simple functionalities is no rocket science. If you don’t have any experience in web design, it will probably look a little generic and amateurish, but it could be a good start.
- You’re comfortable with tech and don’t get easily discouraged by a steep learning curve. You don’t need to be extremely tech-savvy, but you will need a lot of patience and curiosity to figure things out yourself.
- You have all the time in the world. If you can’t afford a designer but aren’t desperate to start making money ASAP, DIY is a great option.
You’re better off hiring a Website Wizard if…
- You have the budget. A custom-designed website typically costs $2500 – $7000, depending on how complex your business is, and whether you want to sell things online.
- You have already tried the DIY path, and you’re not satisfied with the results. If you’ve been tinkering with a DIY website for days or even weeks without making much progress, it might be worth considering hiring professionals to get it done.
- You’re a perfectionist. If you have a hard time letting go of perfectionism, skip the DIY – creating your own website might drive you absolutely crazy. See, most website creation tools have a lot of restrictions in place, which can make it difficult to get everything looking exactly how you want it. If you’re the type of person who needs things to be just so, you might need some help from a designer.
- You are technologically challenged. If you have no idea what is responsive design, or if you struggle every time you get a new smartphone – don’t bother taking the DIY path, it’s not worth the frustration and time you will spend learning the total basics.
- You’re fully booked with clients. Time is money, they say. If you already have clients, it’s better to stick to your zone of genius and invest your time in serving them, or attracting new ones, instead of wasting it on watching countless YouTube tutorials.
- You want something complex and/or unique. Hiring a professional to create your website ensures that it meets your specific requirements and is designed to achieve your objectives. Also, if you want your website to stand out from the crowd, using a pre-made template probably isn’t the way to go. While templates can be great for certain types of websites (like those for service-based businesses), if you’re a coach, healer, or transformational leader looking to create a unique online presence, you’ll need something a bit more customized.
It’s important to remember that a website is just one piece of the puzzle.
If you want to attract your soulmate clients, engage your audience, and turn visitors into paying customers, you’ll need a lot more than just a website.
You’ll need a solid brand strategy, a plan to guide people through your site, compelling copy that inspires action, eye-catching design, and a user-friendly layout… all this can be a little too much for a spiritpreneur with no web design experience.
Need help elevating your online presence?
If you’re looking for a fully customized website solution that includes branding, planning, custom design, and copywriting, I would love to discuss how I can assist you. Just apply for a Website Review with me, so I can take a look at your existing website and marketing. We will talk about how to improve it to make it attract your soulmate clients like a magnet.
February 15, 2023